Saike 858D++ - First Block Diagram

After a short break, here is the first part about the redesign of the Saike 858D rework station (Overview).

Let’s talk about a rough block diagram for the new design.

Saike 858D Rework Station - Measurements

The next part in the series about reverse engineering the Saike 858D rework station (Overview) brings a few measurements, I did in my device. It presents me with the problem, that I am not sure anymore if I want to keep the transformer, currently used in the station.

Reverse Engineering the Saike 858D Rework Station

Quite some time ago I bought an SMD Rework Station at AliExpress. The station I ordered was a Saike 858D, which is one of the numerous versions of the 858D line of rework stations. The “original” model is probably the Atten 858D+ which Dave Jones from the EEVBlog also did a tool review on. My station was really cheap and I am, in general, glad that I have it.

However, as usual with cheap equipment, there is also a bit room for improvement. That is what I am trying to do here.

Measuring Air Quality - Adding a Gas Sensor

At the time, there is quite some discussion regarding air quality and pollution going on in germany. Some cities, like Stuttgart, have to deal with high levels of fine particle emissions. That is why some people came up with a simple solution to build a sensor network for air quality. They provide detailed instruction on how to build your own air quality sensor for about 25 Euros. So, if you want to participate, just head over to luftdaten.info

Installing pyLoad on a Raspberry Pi with Raspbian Jessie

If you are anything like me [1], you like to have dedicated Services which do stuff for you. One of the Services I like in particular is pyLoad [2]. This program you be used to automatically load files from OneClick Hosters. This is esspecially useful if you run this on a small computer like the Raspberry Pi [3] and dump the downloaded data to a central Storage like a NAS.

There are lots of blogposts out there which detail how to install pyLoad on a RaspberryPi [4, 5, 6]. For most parts I don’t really want to say anything against these, but there was one point in particular that I dislike about all of these. This is the reason why I am now writing my own guide. So let’s get started.

Surprises with cheap Arduino versions

I just had a small surprise when I was assembling circuits for my master thesis project. When I was wondering why the Arduino wasn’t working as expected I discovered the following “bug”. This missing soldering point is the ground for one PWM pin. Its probably my own fault for buying cheap Arduino replacements from sainsmart instead of the original Arduino boards.

Eine Lampe für die Bastelecke

Heute sollte die Bastelecke eine Beleuchtung erhalten. Hierfür habe ich mir beim freundlichen schwedischen Möbelhaust von nebenan eine Lampe der Sorte GODMORGON besorgt. Keine 10 Minuten nachdem ich die LAmpe zu Hause hatte, war auch schon die Gewährleistung vernichtet, da die Lampe eigentlich als Badezimmerlampe konzipiert ist, also einen Stromanschluss aus der Wand heraus erwartet. Statt dessen habe ich eine Kerbe in den Kabelkanal der Lampe gesägt und ein Kaltgerätekabel auf die richtige Länge gekürzt und montiert.

Neuer Zweck für eine Zimmerecke, Teil 3

Da gestern Sonntag war, wollte ich keine Löcher bohren. Somit konnte ich heute erst die Festigkeit der Wand testen. Die mit einem 8er-Bohrer gebohrten Löcher waren dann auch gut passend für 10er Dübel. Mit jeweils drei dicken Schrauben wurden dann die beiden Winkel schonmal montiert und kurz getestet ob die Tischplatte denn auch passt und gerade ist. Ich bin schon ein kleines bisschen Stolz auf mich, dass die Platte so schön gerade geworden ist.

Neuer Zweck für eine Zimmerecke, Teil 2

Für die Umgestaltung der Zimmerecke habe ich mir heute eine Stichsäge geliehen und die Platte zugesägt. Hierfür musst ich ein bisschen Dreck in der Küche verursachen, aber ich habe in der Wohnung keinen anderen Platz um mit einer Säge zu hantieren und draußen ist es kalt. Das Ablängen hat nicht ganz so schön funktioniert, aber die Kante wird eh abgedeckt, wenn alles fertig ist. Ich hatte keine gute Auflage um die 2 Meter gleichmäßig zu unterstützen, also war es ein bisschen wackelig und entsprechend ungleichmäßig.